Thursday 7 December 2006

Buildings - An architectual approach

Important examples of modern architecture in Lugano are the Mixed-Use Building, via Ciani, the Caimato Offices, via Maggio and the Banca del Gottardo, viale Franscini; three works by Mario Botta, one of the most famous Ticino architects.
Derived from given urban situations, the designs provide consistent architectural responses, exercising a purifying effect on the urban context. Special emphasis is given on the image as a determining factor.




In the great cylinder at Molino Nuovo, the volumetric tension is reflected in the inner spatial organisation, while at the Caimato Building, the handling of the external surfaces alludes to traditional practice.


Botta uses large vertical cuts and so light, essential elements in his works, to give more feeling to the Building of Banca del Gottardo.



Reference: M.Daguerre, Birkhäuser Architectural Guide Switzerland 20th Century


To know more:
www.botta.ch
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mario_Botta


Enjoy! By Daniele Cereghetti, Dunai Ferenc & Magni Elisabetta

5 comments:

said...

I do think Botta's work has resulted in a fantastic fusion between great achitecture and urban environment. All these 3 buildings in my opinion adapt perfectly to the surroundings and the to the aim there were built for.
p.s.= every morning, when I look at the cylinder in Molino Nuovo (which is really close to my home) I dream to move there!

Erica Roggio said...

I saw these buildings but I didn't like them too much in the context of this town. Lugano is an important centre for engeneering and architecture research...so are you sure that these buildings are thought for Lugano's urban texture? Are they integrated with the environment, or are they a simple architectural experimentation?

annalisa said...

Mario Botta was called to realize also the "new Scala" in Milan. I know that it was a very controversial work. Personally I had a heart attack when I saw Piermarini's Scala half destroyed to rebuild the new one. There are always contrasting opinions about mixing new architecture with the old one. At least the result should be always harmonious in my opinion.

Andrea Ronchi said...

I don’t understand Erica’s objection. You agree that Lugano has an active environment for architectural research. So, why we should consider these buildings out os space? I mean, maybe we can say this for the majority of building built in the 70’s that are too much presents in the Lugano’s “skyline” (like the one in which i live...), on the contrary I think Botta’s style can be seen also like a way to show how a traditional technique as “faccia a vista” (I don’t know how to translate this in english.. when you can see the bricks) can be re-invented and used for architectural vanguards.

YunJi.Kr. said...

Guys!

Have you ever been "Fusio"
in Vallemaggia?
I'm strongly recommand you to visit there.

You can see REAL Botta's skill though one super morden church with fantastic Nature!