Thursday 7 December 2006

Buildings - A tourist approach

If you are in Lugano, you can't miss the San Lorenzo Cathedral! This fabulous building is situated over the city centre, near to the funicular which brings you to the railway station. I didn't know that it was so ancient: it was built in 875 and now it is facing a period of restoration. This Cathedral is envied by the most beautiful Italian cities... so if you are there you have to go and see how great it is!!!




Go and have a look to the City Hall too. It was built in 1844 with the proposal of being the headquarters for the cantonal parliament. It was built with the money of Lugano citizen and its particularity is that it was a really expensive project. So go and read the plate dedicated to Lugano’s people... It is situated in the heart of the city, dominating the well-known “Piazza Riforma”. It is a really nice building you can't miss it!!!

I was then walking along via Trevano and I saw this interesting building… "Banca del Gottardo". I discovered that it was built in 1988 by the famous architect Mario Botta. I was surprised by its dimensions and by the fact that this enormous building is only a bank… it is one of the biggest banks in Lugano!!! Go and see it: Lugano is famous for its banks!!!

To know more:
www.lugano.ch
www.lugano-tourism.ch
www.gottardo.ch

Enjoy! By Daniele Cereghetti, Dunai Ferenc & Magni Elisabetta

5 comments:

Leonie said...

Indeed, I was very astonished when I was "invited" by the "Ufficio controllo abitanti" and instead of a boring looking office-building one usually expects, I faced this spacious hall with the ancient style atrium bordered by huge columns.
This somehow made me feel a bit majestic...

Piergiorgio Pisano said...

Thank you for this special information....In my opinion, the buildings of Lugano are really beautiful...I live in Lugano since October and I've a lot of things to visit...with this post, now, i can enjoy more my citytour!

erika said...

I've already visited four times San Lorenzo Cathedral, but the church in Lugano that I prefer is Santa Maria degli Angioli. It is a poor buildin otuside, but it is very rich inside. It keeps the biggest treasure of Lugano. VIsit it!

Erica Roggio said...

In effect, the strange thing of Switzerland is that every bank has a whole building (in Lugano, Zurich but also Geneva)! In Italy there are smaller offices for many little banks.

zoltanjudit said...

The building of the city center are beautiful, but I am not so attracted by the souranding. My first impression was not so good, wheb I left the highway at the exit Lugano Nord.