Saturday 9 December 2006

Torta di pane (Cake of bread)

One of the specialities of Lugano is the cake of bread (the original name is torta di pane), ever available at the folk festivals. Here is the recipe.
Ingredients:
300 gr of stale bread
5 cookies “amaretto”
1 litre of milk

a few salt
a whole lemon
150/200 gr of sugar
one spoon of cacao
a glass of grappa
200 gr of raisins
1 gr of vanilla
50 gr of cedar
50 gr of pine nuts
butter

Leave the bread in the hot milk for 4 hours (or all the night), then mince it and add the other ingredients - except peanuts and butter. Pour the compound in a buttered baking tin. Cover with the pine nuts and cook in the oven for 2 hours and a half. Then sprinkle with 50 gr of sugar.

4 comments:

silvia said...

HI! I just wanna suggest that this cake is also nice if we had some amaretti biscuits and a sliced apple in the mixture of ingredients...you don't believe me?? I promise you to make this "version" before the end of lessons....
Cheers!

ferenc said...

I have just a very short remark: hmm,I became hungry!..

zoltanjudit said...

The receipe sounds easy to make. I would like to try also Silvia´s version (see comments) with apple and biscuits, and please don´t forget to let me taste when any of you have time for baking this cake.:)
Thanks in advance

Unknown said...

Wow..It's a delicious suggestion